African Sunset

African Sunset

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'll have a Philly Cheese Steak please.

Americans are wonderful.

They love my Canadian accent. They think it's cute when I say "Mmm-hmm" instead of "Uh-huhhh", or the way I say Out and About.
The Appalachians just outside our hotel

It's been a wonderful two days at the SPADE conference centre, an Amish country in Steinsville, PA, 1 1/2 hours west of Philadelphia. We had a total of 15 interns together, and we did our training retreat style.
A tour of the Amish-country hotel


We talked and shared about what it means to abide in Jesus, and being humble as we serve others overseas.

We spent time sitting in the fields alone, surrounded by the Appalachians, talking with Jesus & reading the Word.

We played Bocci.


We roasted giant marshmallows.

We barbecued and ate tender seasoned chicken on a skewer.

And ate ice cream & brownies on waffle cones right before bedtime.
I guess it's our last chance of fine dining before we depart.




It's too bad the England, Vienna, and Kenya team left today, when we just met yesterday.

2011 Summer Interns

Sarah & I fly tomorrow (since flights to Uganda are only available every 2 days) to London, where we will have a 12 hour lay-over before we head to Uganda.

The Africa Team (Sudan-Caleb, Kenya-Taylor & Adam, Uganda- Sarah & Olvie)

Some praises:

  • Thanks for your prayers for an available flight (for those of you that received the news in time). My flight was cancelled right before we were about to take-off. We were told that no flights were available that day (and I was at the bottom of the waiting list). The earliest flight available the next day was full, and the flight after that was filling up. Somehow, by God's grace and provision, as I was waiting at Customer Service to rebook a flight, a plane was sent and enough people cancelled their flight for me to board that night!
  • The staff & the training was great in helping us mentally and spiritually prepare. The entire staff at World Harvest prayed for each team. I feel so blessed to be sent in the safety of this organization.
  • Sarah Barton, the other intern, is totally sweet & cool. I cannot wait to get to know her more the next 2 months in Bundibugyo!
Prayer requests:
  • We have lots of supplies & luggage to bring to the team over there (on top of what we have already!). Continue to pray for efficiency and organization as we travel with this load.
  • TIA- This Is Africa. The team in Uganda sent us an email recently, notifying us of changed plans and how "This Is Africa" and we will have to be flexible to adjust to constantly changing plans.

...Until the next time I have internet!







1 comment:

  1. This is Olvie's mom. Let's praise the Lord for the first prayer answered at the beginning of the trip. When Olvie called saying she might have to take the afternoon flight the next day, I was so worried and distressed, even thought of driving her to Philedelphia immediately. Her dad is in Las Vegas. But the thought of driving myself back to Toronto alone stoned me.I prayed and looked for help. My heartfelt thanks to Fenny (Rev. Lau's wife) and Gabe (their son) for searching different options for me and even offering to drive us to Buffalo for changing flight there. Many thanks to Ada & Pete's home group for praying for Olvie when they knew about the situation. Glory be to God who answers prayer and shows us He is in control of all things. Olvie got a seat to fly out the same day when it seemed impossible. Hallelujah. I'm much more confident that Olvie is in the Good Hand of the Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete