African Sunset

African Sunset

Sunday, July 31, 2011

HAHA.

So the pants/trouser joke is getting old. Too many white people who come through here have called their trousers, “pants” (i.e. Underwear). So some of the more modern Ugandan men/women here, who work with the mission, understand already. 
Except...it’s still not completely clear. 
Vincent, our beloved language helper and friend, speaks great English. We went on a hike one day, and I wore beach trousers that can be changed into capris by drawing up each side of the pant-legs and tying, except one side had come undone. So Vincent, who has tried to assimilate to our “American” English, says to me, “Olvie, you need to tie your panties!”. Baffled, Sarah and I stopped in our tracks. He said what?
Side note: oftentimes, in Ugandan English, they like to add an “e” sound at the end of a word. For example, candy/sweets is called “sweeties” here. Vincent wanted to speak our language of “pants” instead of “trousers”, except in this case, panties actually mean underwear. How confusing for a Ugandan!


The other inten & my partner, Sarah, whom I've been travelling with for the past 2 months and who has been in my personal space EVERY single day, has a blog @ http://www.sarahgbarton.blogspot.com/. Please read her blog too! She definitely has stories I've missed and a different perspective!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. In Scotland it's the same thing (trousers=pants, pants=underwear). I learned that pretty quickly as well. I can't believe that your coming back so soon! To me it feels like you just left. As a person who loves to travel, I feel sorry for you that you already have to return. BUT I'm also happy that your coming back, even though I don't know how soon you will be in Sudbury.

    ReplyDelete