African Sunset

African Sunset

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana Pancakes, Hospital, Saturday Market, OBs/OGs

Lily comes over for a girls banana pancake breakfast!
Getting down to our last 2 weeks now. 
The sun came out today with no hesitations. 
We made banana pancakes with Lily this morning, while listening to Jack Johnson. 
Today I put in my first IV.
I also laid eyes on a tiny premature baby, born last night, who was cold and ashen in colour. Whose breathing was shallow and infrequent, and heartbeat nearly inexistent.
I praise God for the healthy babies that are born everyday (like my sister, Olga’s, last month, and Sarah’s sister, Heather’s, a few days ago), especially the rare healthy babies born in this village where 20-30% of children die before age 5, and approx. 50% of the children’s growth is stunted due to chronic malnutrition.
As I walked home on my own from the hospital, after a couple hours of shadowing Arube Charles (a smiley, round faced man-nurse who is highly educated and skilled in his field of work, and coached my first IV insertion), I felt significantly more comfortable than when I first arrived. It’s amazing how, as humans, we can quickly adapt to our surroundings, yet it’s harder for some.


Arube Charles, my favourite Ugandan nurse

Please pray for our team member and long-term (5 years< commitment) missionary, Dr. Jessica Ankney, who is finding it extremely difficult to adjust. She has been here for 3 months now, and plans to be here for 5 years or indefinitely. She would like prayer for her impatience and frustrations of life here, the rhythm and flow of things. She is currently not enjoying her time here as much as she would like.
...I walked along the mile-long dirt road from Nyahuka Hospital, and I ventured into the market. Saturday market in Nyahuka brings business men and women from afar to sell their goods (even from the Congo). It has become a trading post over the years. Sarah and I have become a part of the market scene more than anyone else on the team. We know a lot of the ladies in the market selling bananas, or the men selling Orange (our phone company) airtime at the dukas (small shops). I carefully perused the clothing laid out on the red mudded paths, being careful not to bring too much attention to myself (if I can help it), and I confidently exchanged courteous Lubwisi greetings with everyone I met. 
After almost 2 months, I love how I can bump into several people we know on my way home. Nyahuka village is so small, that it’s not hard to cross paths with a friend. Here are some people that stopped me in my tracks today:
The Fish-man: he comes to our doorstep several times a week, asking if we would like him to get fish for us. Having refused several times, Sarah (who is a vegetarian but eats fish), finally agreed to him once and he brought us back an entire Tilapia with skin/bones, which he then inquires for a basin with water, cutting board, and knife...which I comply...and I receive in return, smelly fish water, and a perfectly prepared and skinned fish. By the way, he still comes to our door every so often. And when I bumped into him today, he asks, “so do you and Sarah want fish this week?”.
Arali- trouser man: No, I did not ask for his pants again this time (please read “Offbeat Oddities” blog entry for funny story). But I do love greeting him every time I walk by his cloth-es (and they pronounce it as Clothe-ES) store.
Sunday Godfrey: He is a Christ School Bundibugyo alumni, except here, they call alumni’s, O.B.’s and O.G.’s- Old Boys and Old Girls. He also founded Bundibugyo Hand of Hope (BUHAHO), which is a local organization advocating for human rights and helps its own people. I have chosen to give some of my donations to them. 
Happy Hugs Granny: there’s this grandma who never fails to greet us every time we walk past her house. She is always surrounded by school children and doesn’t speak any English. But every time she sees us, she gives us a big hug and smile...and keeps speaking to us on and on...in Lubwisi. We would say, “Timanye Lubwisi”, I don’t know Lubwisi.
Bible-translator Wilson: He is the father of Sunday Godfrey, and he has been working with a Bible translating organization to translate the Bible into Lubwisi. He also wears this ridiculous, yet stylish fedora, that stands out so much in this society. When I bumped into him, he told me his son took his computer, and he has been praying for another computer so he can continue his Bible translating work. Now that this town has electricity, any working computer would be greatly appreciated here. 
Gladys, or Gladys-see (here, people often add an “e”’ sound after a name): she does our laundry. She cleans our bathroom. She sweeps our house. She even does dishes if you ask her to! Gladys is a woman of prayer. She sings and prays for us whenever she comes to work for us! Yet she has her own charcoal business in the market. She works everyday. And when I see her, along the way to and fro, I always give her a hug and thank her for all the work she does. Webale miilimon. Thank you for your work. 
Mass crowds of screaming children: I didn’t think it would ever be possible for me to adapt to this. I have never had a peaceful walk from the mission to the hospital or market. Children are always following us, or screaming “how AH-you?” or “mujungu!”. Or creepy men are saying, “how are you ma’am”, “I love you”, “please come and greet me ma’am”. And occasionally, I get a “EH! China!”. Except, as I walked alone today, I felt at peace. The warm african sun was cooling off in the afternoon. I bumped into several friends. I knew the greetings well, and said them confidently. I think if God calls me to be here long-term, I can eventually get over the mass number of people who view me as some exotic breed. 
Two saturdays from today, we will be leaving Bundi district, the place we’ve called home for two months! We will then travel to Kampala (a 9-hour drive), before we fly home from this beautiful place.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first IV insertion! I'm looking forward to catching up and hearing all your stories in September, if not before.

    ReplyDelete