African Sunset

African Sunset

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Offbeat Oddities.



They have called me by a new name. 
-Before coming here, Travis Johnson sent me an email asking me if I would like to change my name. Since “Olvie” isn’t used here, it would be easier for the locals If I was named something else. Travis said it would be cool to get a pseudo name for 2 months!They suggested I change my name to “Oliver”. Which, to me, is a MAN’s name!! Apparently, it is a common female name here.
At first I was slightly offended. Olvie has never been a common name, but that’s why it’s unique. And people have adapted over the years in my life to remember and know me for my different name. When I landed in Bundi, Amy & travis brought it up again. They said you can choose ANY name you want. It might be fun…
As the days went by, and I tried using “Olvie” with people I met. They would often be confused and forget my  name. Until I used Oliver (which they pronounce as OLIVAH), and they would light up and be glad that they could call me something familiar to them.
July10, 2011
We want to see your underwear!
Here in Uganda, the english word for “pants” actually means “undergarments”.
Pants = Underpants
If you want to say “pants”, you would say “trousers” instead.
Trousers = Pants (American) 
So today when we were walking home from church at Bundimalinga Church of Uganda, we ran into a friend, Arali, a friendly and smiley man who owns a clothing store in the market. Anna had found some nice pinstriped, 2nd hand, dress pants at his store. We were very excited to see him because Sarah & I missed him at the market on Saturday. This is the conversation:
Arali: Hello! How are you? (he takes my hand and shakes it) You are lost!
Me: I am lost?
Arali: You are lost.
Translation- when they say ‘you are lost’, it means they have not seen you in a while and miss you.
Me: Yes! Sarah and I could not find you at the market yesterday! We want to see your PANTS!!
Anna, Jessica, Sarah: (HORRIFIED expressions & in hysterics)
Me: I MEAN YOUR TROUSERS!
Signaling Mars.
Since the Johnson’s are not able to return (due to Travis’ sicknes), we have not been able to use their satellite internet at their house.
In our desperate need to contact the world via World Wide Web, Jessica and I have been driving back & forth, 10 minutes west towards the Congo (DRC), to the MTN cellphone tower in hopes of getting better signal for our portable modems. 
So we parked underneath the cellphone tower in a primary school football field, getting ready to send mass emails to friends & family. 
Some people walked by. A few kids stared. Jessica stared back. Then a crowd of children started forming, inquisitive & curious. Before I could finish sending an email, I looked up...and a dozen children were perched on my window, STARING and SMILING at me. 
Then I made the mistake (or maybe not) of turning on my laptop’s Photobooth (a camera that takes silly distorted and animated photos), and the kids HOLLER with laughter. Before I even took notice, Jessica says anxiously, “Olvie, there are seriously 40 kids surrounding our car!!”. So we quickly finished up our luxury internet time, and booked it home before they could tip the car over with us inside. 
It was amusing and hilarious to see these children, who could laugh so effortlessly and be so carefree. 

Today we went again, but to a different location. We parked on the side of the road, hoping they wouldn’t find us. 
But the children always have a way of finding us. 
This time, I ripped blank pages out of my journal and did some origami, folding paper boats/cranes/flowers/hearts. They were equally as entertained. 

Sunday Auction
The churches here have a different way of doing things and raising money. In North America, we pass around the offering bag/plate to collect weekly tithes. Here, people step forward to offer their appreciation at the alter in offering baskets/boxes. Oftentimes, people who grow crops and vegetables as a living, offer their yield to the Lord. So it’s not uncommon to find a pineapple sitting on top of the offering box from time to time. At the end of each service, one person holds up the offered gifts and auctions them off. 
This Sunday, a big juicy ripe pineapple was offered. Sarah and I salivated at the sight of it. Then the bids started flying. Before we knew it, the price went up to 20, 000 shillings (about $10 US), then at last, it was sold to our good friend (& minister of the church), Baguma Charles, for 25, 000 shillings (approx $12 US)!! But he didn’t take it for himself. The seller comes towards us and says the bidder wishes to give us this gift. We giggled with delight and appreciation. Baguma then stresses to the congregation that they should not bid for just the gift, but to offer the money as a pleasing sacrifice to the Lord. The pineapple left a lasting impression on our taste buds for days afterwards. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment